Play With Me: Art [Part 2]
We're continuing our Play With Me: Art series! Making art and being creative is fun for all ages, and especially fun when done together. July is Parks and Recreation month in celebration we will focus our art making on things found in nature.
These activities are designed for children between 2 and 5 years old. Before getting started, parental assistance will be needed to help collect and setup supplies. Consider sending the supply list ahead of time so the parent can prepare in advance.
- Print the Background Sheet and Cut Out Sheet
- Markers, crayons and colored pencils
- Scissors (age appropriate)
- Remember color choices can be natural and imaginary.
- Encourage and compliment their cutting and gluing skills.
- Ask them if they have found any of the things they are coloring outside in a park or in their yard.
- Ask what color leaves they have in their neighborhood right now, they may have green, red, yellow and brown. Ask them why they think that is.
- Point out the acorn the squirrel is holding, tell them the squirrel will eat it, ask them if they have seen squirrels eating anything besides acorns.
- Did you guess how many correctly?
- What made you guess the number you did?
- For the number that the child guessed, talk with them about what items of that number would fit into the jar. For instance if they guessed one million; ask them if they think one million ants would fit in the jar or maybe one million grains of sand. If they guessed five ask them if they think five strawberries or tennis balls would fit in the jar. Ask them which would make more sense and why?