Up-Close with Nature: Summer

By: Shannon Mallery, Program Assistant Sr. - Mature Adults

This summer I have been taking long leisurely walks as I am sure, many of you have been. 
I have put on my sunscreen, grabbed my phone and water and headed out the door just as I have dozens of times in summers past. But this summer I have noticed something a little different about my time out-of-doors. 
 
All around me nature is inviting me to take a closer look. Animals and creatures are inviting me to play.
Maybe they notice I have more time for them. Maybe they know that I want to be invited in for a closer connection. 

So far I have had a lizard drop in my lap, a dragonfly play tag, a bunny stop for a nibble, a caterpillar show me how to hang in, a spider check me over and a grasshopper hang out with me. 

The plants and trees have been beckoning with zig-zags, swirls, splotches, and slashes, pulling me in.  

This is what I have found when I was up close with nature.


Next time you go for a walk take a closer look. 
See what patterns, textures and shadows you find. 
See who will play with you when you take a moment to say "I'm in what's the game?".

We would love to share your pictures and videos. If you have a picture or video you took of nature that you would like us to share on the Durham Parks and Recreation Blog send it to Shannon.Mallery@durhamnc.gov

Have fun, enjoy some fresh air and remember to Play More with DPR.

Comments