Get to know Wade Walcutt, DPR's New Director

We hope you've heard the great news by now (or you might be living under a rock)...but we have a new Director of Parks and Recreation, Wade Walcutt. Wade joined the team in October 2020 and has been learning the ropes ever since. He comes to Durham with excitement, experience and energy! If you seem him out and about, don't hesitate to stop and say hello! For now, here's a quick introduction with some get-to-know-you questions...

How long have you been in the Parks and Recreation field?
20 years, (I started when I was 5)

What is your favorite thing about working in Parks and Recreation?
People. The people I work with and the people that make up the community.
  • In my experience people who work in Parks and Recreation are typically people who are drawn or called to it, who want to serve the community, who believe that what they do matters and impacts people and changes lives and communities.
  • I love building relationships, learning and helping others. Whether its working directly with the community to listen and learn then take their dreams and interests and make them become a reality through parks, programs or services; or working with a great team of professionals helping them to grow and reminding them of how what they do makes people’s lives better and communities stronger is a driving factor and a huge reward.
What do you hope to accomplish in the next year, 5 years and 10 years as the new Durham Parks and Recreation Director?
Gazing into my crystal ball, I see:
  • Myself leading failure. Hopefully lots of failures. So many failures…all as a result of creative, innovative, new and risky ideas, methods, approaches, strategies and plans we develop and implement to make people’s lives better. Out of those failures I see growth, courage, inspiration, a coming together and becoming stronger because of it; I see fun, I see wins and success generated, then I see momentum toward a stronger community and department.
  • Us developing a servant leadership culture with improved alignment between our strategy, structure, systems, skills and culture
  • Myself learning a lot from our team and the community, while identifying new approaches and new opportunities to serve the community
  • A more informed and connected team contributing to all elements of our department
  • A future where untapped voices and talent within our team are heard and make change
  • Myself building and strengthening relationships, while creating new ones throughout the department and community
What has been your favorite thing about Durham so far?
The people in this department and City have impressed me and made me feel very welcomed; I’m very grateful. A close second has been West Point on the Eno and exploring the river and trails, including the Mountains to Sea Trail.

What is one thing that you have missed most during the Pandemic?
Nouns… You know, People, Places & Things. I miss all that. Real connection opportunities with people in person.

Which Parks and Recreation TV Show character do you relate to the most and why?
If Ron and Leslie had a child, and April and Andy had a child, and those two had a child… that would be me, and I would be raised by Donna And Tom. Because I have similar feelings on City Government like both Ron and Leslie, personality traits from Andy and April, and how awesome would be to be raised by Tom and Donna?! Treat Yo Self!

How do you feel about squirrels (Parkson Rex is wondering)!?
You could say I’m…. nuts about squirrels. Although I must admit I’ve had closer relationships with Chipmunks up until now. However I am impressed with their uniqueness and intelligence… Did you know?
  • Humans are responsible for introducing most squirrels to most city parks
  • Squirrels can find food buried beneath a foot of snow
  • A squirrel's front teeth never stop growing
  • Squirrels may lose 25 percent of their buried food to thieves
  • They zigzag to escape predators
  • Squirrels may pretend to bury a nut to throw off potential thieves
  • They don’t dig up all of their buried nuts, which results in more trees

Comments