Women's History Month Spotlight: Mary Unterreiner

March is Women's History Month. What started off as Women's History Week, this month-long event has been celebrated annually since 1987 and is a chance to learn more about the vital contributions that women have made in creating a shared American history. 
 
The history of park service, recreation centers, and national park assistance is vibrant and effervescent, with a collage of people of diverse gender, race, and age. In honor of Women's History Month, Durham Parks & Recreation celebrates its women leaders. Currently, DPR employs 152 women, including 9 in leadership roles. 

Join us as we celebrate some of the talented women at DPR who make things happen as a result of their hard work, commitment to Durham residents, and strong leadership. 

Introducing Mary Unterreiner 

Public Information & Communication Manager

                                                                                    

What led you to DPR? 

I was looking for an opportunity that had a greater direct impact on the community. During my time at DPR, I have already had so many experiences that have allowed me to do that in addition to contributing to my professional growth. It has also allowed me to become a stronger, more resilient person as a result of these experiences. I also knew I'd be leading an all-female team, which I was really excited about!

Why is it important for women to have a leadership position in Parks & Recreation? 

It's important for our public services to reflect and represent our communities. In leadership positions, we're able to represent the interests of our women coworkers, counterparts, and communities. Our voices are important and in positions of leadership, we not only get to use our voices but help elevate the voices of those around us.

Women face many challenges such as flexible hours, remote working, motherhood, and finding a work-life balance. How do you empower yourself and the women around you through it all?

At a management level, I try to promote a culture where my teammates know they have space and flexibility for life to happen. I also do my best to support their professional pursuits and opportunities for growth, both personally and professionally. I remind myself and the women in my life to be kind to ourselves and that we don't need to meet the unfair expectations society often places on us.

If you could only pick one, who is the most influential woman you know? How does she inspire you? 

One?! I'm so lucky to have a village of incredible women in my life who I learn from and who influence me every day. My mom is probably the strongest lady I know and has taught me so much about myself and my own strength by building me up and being an example herself.

Comments