Women's History Spotlight: Sinoda Brown

March is Women's History Month. What started off as Women's History Week, this month-long event has been celebrated annually since 1987 and is a chance to learn more about the vital contributions that women have made in creating a shared American history. 

The history of park service, recreation centers, and national park assistance is vibrant and effervescent, with a collage of people of diverse gender, race, and age. In honor of Women's History Month, Durham Parks & Recreation celebrates its women leaders. Currently, DPR employs 152 women, including 9 in leadership roles. 

Join us as we celebrate some of the talented women at DPR who make things happen as a result of their hard work, commitment to Durham residents, and strong leadership.

Introducing Sinoda Brown

Business Systems Analyst


What led you to DPR?

The jobs I held after college graduation have all been in the public sector.  My earlier work focused on accounts payable. I worked for NCCU Student Stores and then Durham County. I then transitioned to Durham Public Schools where I taught Business Keyboarding, Small Business Entrepreneurship, and Marketing classes. 

I worked for a while as a real estate broker when I found my work home with DPR in 2005 as a part-time accounting technician.  When a full-time Human Resources Technician position became available in 2007, I interviewed and was hired. Over the years, that position grew into the position I hold today as the Business Systems Analyst.  DPR has been my happy workplace.  It has allowed me to grow while staying with one organization. I love what I do, the freedom and encouragement to be creative and grow my position, and the people I work with.

How long have you been employed here?  


I started part-time in 2005 and full-time in 2007

Why is it important for women to have a leadership position in Parks & Recreation?  
If everyone in leadership were the same, DPR would be a pretty boring organization.  Women in leadership provide the department with different viewpoints, fresh ideas, creativity, fairness, empathy, role models, etc.

Women face many challenges such as flexible hours, remote working, motherhood, and finding a work-life balance. How do you empower yourself and the women around you through it all?  

My philosophy is that you must take care of yourself first, then your family, then work.  Yes, I work hard and strive to be an asset to the organization, but I take time for myself and my family as well.

If you could only pick one, who is the most influential woman you know? How does she inspire you?  

My inspiration for life is my mother.  She passed away when I was 25, but she was a beautiful woman with a beautiful heart.  She worked hard, gave more than she received, and treated everyone like family.  She encouraged me to always do my best, even if my best was more than what was expected.  I try to live that way today.

Comments